Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Nepal quilt

While this isn't the best quilt I've ever made I think it came out pretty good. It lacks a wow factor but has nice quilting and a lot of interest. So when I put it up in my office a few days ago and not one person even commented on it (including the person I was going to give it to) I was a bit disappointed.

But that's ok - I like it so will not give it away (the person I was going to give it to will now be deemed not "quilt worthy" and I will keep it hung in my office and admire it myself :-) a lot of people just don't appreciate hand made and would rather admire a poster or print that 500,000 other people also have hanging in their homes. But that's ok too. Different strokes for different folks.

Have you ever spent a lot of time making something for someone who didn't really appreciate it?

 

6 comments:

  1. No way! When I opened your post this morning, I said WOW!

    It has wonderful depth. you did a fabulous job on this one.

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the answer to your question is YES! both are related to me. Sometimes people are too shy to say anything about a quilt or hanging. In my case, that is the way they should have stayed, LOL

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me, keep it in your office and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's fabulous! Don't give it to someone who does not appreciate it. Keep it and enjoy it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I thing the quilting on this is fabulous. What a heart break after so much care and work that the intended recipient didn't appreciate it. Taste is such an individual thing and can have little reflection on the quality of the work. I do hope you can still enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Hilary. Taste is an individual thing. I never give art to anyone for that reason. I've often been disappointed when I get a quiet response to a quilt I've made when I show it to a group. But then there are other times when I get a wow response, too. You have make the art for your own satisfaction if you are going to put yourself out there. As soon as I saw your quilt, I knew it was Nepal. I spent 3 months there. Twice. I think it looks great. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete