Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

The lake

This is another post for the blogger festival at Amys creative side. One of the categories is original design which all of my quilts are these days but this one is one of my favorites because the inspiration came from a photo of a spot on Lake George in the Adirondacks near where I grew up.


Taken with my trusty iphone - one of the greatest tools for making art quilts there is.
I'm constantly taking pictures and you never know when an inspiration will appear.


This is the first quilt I made from the photo. If anyone knows me I am always with at least one of my dogs if possible so this is the fantasy - sitting at the end of a dock in the summer with my best friend.


When I make a pattern, basically I enlarge the photo, trace the elements I want keeping it as simple as possible getting a line drawing. That drawing is then reversed for the pattern templates.
SO while I had the pattern already made and heard this song on the radio (from the 70's)

We get it almost every night
When that moon is big and bright
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight
Everybody here is out of sight
They don't bark and they don't bite
They keep things loose, they keep 'em tight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight
Dancing in the moonlight
Everybody's feeling warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight
We like our fun and we never fight
You can't dance and stay uptight
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody was dancing in the moonlight

well I just had to make another, this time with me dancin' in the moonlight.
The moonlight above in the purple one is made out of fabric softner dryer sheets.



And I liked it so much I decided to make a pattern to sell of it, so of course had to make another to test out the pattern which you can buy here if you like.
This post will be under original design at the blogger festival and again I encourage you to check out some of the very talented quilters that blog. We are a happy  bunch :-)




3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Judy! Lovely translation from photo to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Love how you play with an idea and come up with a variety of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete